This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure.
This homemade Apple Crisp is made with fresh apples sauteed in a rich, nutty brown butter, topped with a buttery brown sugar, oat and roasted pecan topping, and baked until crisp and bubbly. It’s the most perfect dessert ever, great for any gathering (or eating alone during a Netflix binge right out of the pan).
Do you still need convincing? This homemade apple crisp might just be my all time favorite dessert. It might just be the best apple crisp recipe ever.
No kidding. It’s all I can think about. I have a feeling this easy apple crisp recipe is going to pop up a few more times this fall.
And you KNOW it’s easy. I’m not interested in overly complicated desserts. I’m not a good baker and want it to just be easy and good. Especially during busy the holidays.
That said, you are going to want to make this homemade apple crisp. Scratch that. You NEED this buttery, delicious apple crisp in your life.
**If you are in love with EASY apple desserts like me, try this simple and delicious Salted Caramel Apple Galette**
The Ingredients for Homemade Apple Crisp
What apples do you use for apple crisp?
A crisp, tart apple works the best for apple desserts. I have a strong preference for Granny Smith, but a sweeter apple like Honeycrisp will also work wonderfully. Or use a mix. Really, this homemade apple crisp will be awesome no matter what apples you use.
Feel free to buy whole apples and slice and peel them. However, due to my extreme laziness, I totally buy the packages of pre-sliced and peeled apples. Sometimes I can’t find them peeled and buy the ones with the peel and they also work fine.
The brandy is optional, so if you don’t have any you can leave it out. It does add an extra bit of flavor to the apples as they bake.
Make sure you use rolled oats for this recipe, not instant oats, or quick cooking. They need to be plain old rolled oats.
You can buy the rest of the ingredients at the grocery store or just make it easy and grab them through the below Amazing links (affiliate links – I earn a small commission if you buy through these links to help me pay for all my failed recipe attempts):
How to Make Homemade Apple Crisp
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
The first step is to brown the butter. Heat the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally to prevent burning, until butter starts to brown and has a nutty smell. Remove from heat.
Can I make brown butter ahead of time?
You can make brown butter ahead of time and store it in the fridge for 2 weeks to a month, or store it in the freezer for 6-9 months.
Add half the brown butter to a skillet over medium heat and add the apples. Cook for 2 minutes. Add the brandy and coconut sugar and cook and additional 3-4 minutes, until caramelized.
Place mixture in a 9×9″ baking dish. An 8×8″ baking dish can be used as well.
Top with the oat topping (see below) and bake in the oven for 35-45 minutes, until the top of the apple crisp is browned and bubbly.
How do you make apple crisp topping?
Combine the dry ingredients and mix together. Add the other half of the brown butter and mix together so the mixture is dampened by the butter.
This is amazing served warm with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream. So good.
Does apple crisp need to be refrigerated?
Typically, you should let the apple crisp cool for 2-4 hours at room temperature. Cover with plastic wrap or store in a covered container for up to 5 days in the fridge.
How long will apple crisp keep?
It should keep for up to 5 days in the fridge, or up to 3 months in the freezer.
Will apple crisp freeze?
Apple crisp can be frozen either before or after baking. To freeze before, assemble the apple crisp in an airtight oven safe container (or wrap it in freezer safe plastic wrap) and store in the freezer for up to one month. To cook the apple crisp from frozen, bake in a 350 degree oven for 50-60 minutes, until browned and bubbly.
To freeze after baking, let the apple crisp cool for 2-4 hours at room temperature. Place in a freezer safe air tight container or wrap it in freezer safe plastic wrap and store in the freezer for up to one month. To cook it, thaw it overnight in the fridge. Then bake according to the recipe instructions.
How to reheat apple crisp
Place the leftovers in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes, until heated through. If heating from frozen, follow the instructions above.
Can apple crisp be made the night before?
Make the apples and oat topping and store them separately in the fridge overnight. When you’re ready to cook, spread the topping over the apples in a baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes, until browned and bubbly.
Tools used to make homemade apple crisp
More amazing EASY desserts from Went Here 8 This
Deep Dish Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie
Salted Caramel Apple Galette
Gooey Pecan Pie Bars (my favorite recipe ever)
No Bake Pumpkin Cheesecake Balls
Chewy Rolo Brownies
Homemade Candied Ginger
Soft and Chewy Gingerbread Cookies
Sweet Korean Pancakes
How to Make Almond Meringues
Did you make this homemade apple crisp? Rate the recipe and leave me a comment to let me know what you think!
Old Fashioned Apple Crisp Recipe
- 12 oz. sliced apples
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 stick salted butter, browned (see below instructions)
- 2 tbsp. brandy (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally to prevent burning, until butter starts to brown.
- Add the apples and cook for 2 minutes. Add the brandy and coconut sugar and cook and additional 3-4 minutes, until caramelized.
- Place mixture in a 9x9" baking dish.
- Top with the oat topping and bake, uncovered, in the oven for 35-45 minutes, until topping is browned and bubbly. Start checking it at 35 minutes just to make sure it doesn't burn.
- Remove from heat and allow the crisp to cool for about 10-15 minutes for the best results. Serve with vanilla ice cream.
Apple Crisp Topping:
- Combine the dry ingredients and mix together. Add the butter and mix to combine. Don't over mix - mixture should be crumbly.
- While unpeeled apples can be used, I recommend peeling the apples for the best results;
- Using salted butter helps the flavor of the apples and the sweetness of the topping to shine through;
- Make sure you use rolled oats for this recipe, not instant oats, or quick cooking. They need to be plain old rolled oats.
- The pecans can be substituted with almonds or walnuts;
- Always reheat a crisp in the oven (350 degrees for 10-15 minutes) for best results - the microwave tends to make it mushy;
- Allow the crisp to cool for at least 10 minutes before serving for the best results.
Did you make this homemade apple crisp with oats? Follow me on Instagram, post a photo and tag @wenthere8this or #wenthere8this. I love to see what you’re making!