The most amazing white chocolate cranberry ginger sugar cookies
This post contains affiliate links.
I made this candied ginger with the full intent of making candied ginger cookies. But then I had these white chocolate chips leftover from my pumpkin cheesecake balls. And I’ve always got some dried cranberries in the cabinet for those salad days. There haven’t been very many salad days as of late.
And I love sugar cookies.
So I came up with the idea to make white chocolate cranberry ginger sugar cookies. What a mouthful. Honestly, I wasn’t sure I would really like them (I don’t love white chocolate chips) but thought they may be good for the holidays.
They were AWESOME. I felt proud as a novice baker.
The candied ginger adds just a touch of that ginger bite, which is slightly offset by the sweetness of the white chocolate and tartness of the dried cranberries. These cookies were a hit.
I ate too many of them though. My diet has been poor lately. It’s the holidays. Back to it after the New Year, am I right?
So let’s have some fun for the next month. Eat all the cookies we want. Indulge.
And if you feel like more indulging, I just released my new FREE cookbook with awesome, easy to make holiday desserts. So many cookies and treats not even on the blog yet! Get your copy below.
Making the Cookies
Like I said, I’m not a huge fan of white chocolate chips, so I used only 1/4 cup. But I feel like this recipe could take anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 cup. So if you really like white chocolate, be adventurous, go for the full 1/2 cup! I’d like to hear how they come out.
You may note I use a mix of shortening and butter here. Well, I learned something new recently. Shortening helps to keep cookies from spreading too much when they are baked. Plus, it provides a slightly chewier texture. So I’ve been experimenting. And this combo worked perfect for this recipe.
Once the dough is made, we roll it into a log and wrap it in plastic wrap to refrigerate for a few hours. This makes it super easy to just cut the cookies in 1/4″ slices to bake. It’s a great way to get them perfectly shaped, if you care about those things.
Let me tell you, I was incapable of eating just one. I had lots of cookies. So many cookies. So if you’re trying to be healthy, probably don’t make these. But if you want to let loose a bit, indulge in some deliciousness, MAKE THESE WHITE CHOCOLATE CRANBERRY GINGER SUGAR COOKIES.
Happy Holidays Guys!
So maybe these flavors aren’t your thing. No worries, I’ve got so many other awesome desserts you can make with minimal effort required!
Sugar cookies packed with chunks of white chocolate, cranberries and crystallized ginger.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 egg plus one yolk
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries chopped
- 1/4 cup candied ginger chopped
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- Cream the butter, shortening and sugar.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and beat for one minute.
- Add the flour, salt and baking powder and mix well.
- Add the cranberries, ginger and white chocolate chips.
- Place half the dough on 24" of plastic wrap and roll into a log about 2" thick. Do the same with the other half. Refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Unwrap the dough and slice into pieces about 1/4" thick and place 2" apart on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet then transfer to a rack to finish cooling.