Cured Salmon Recipe (gravlax)
Homemade Cured Salmon, or Gravlax, is one of the most amazing and incredibly simple recipes you can make.
Servings 12 servings
Combine all ingredients, except fish, in a bowl and mix. Place a piece of plastic wrap down on a baking sheet and pour half the salt mixture on top.
Pat the fish dry, remove any bones, and place, skin side down, on the salt mixture. Top the salmon with the remaining salt mixture.
Wrap in the plastic wrap. Layer with another piece of plastic wrap and place in a plastic bag (leave the bag open).
Place the fish on the baking sheet in the fridge and cover with something flat and heavy.
Drain and flip the fish every 12 hours for 36-72 hours, depending on desired cure (see notes).
Remove from fridge and rise all the salt off.
Pat the fish dry and place back in the fridge, uncovered, for 12-24 hours to help the salt distribute.
- It is very important to buy sashimi grade salmon for this since we will not be cooking the fish.
- Check the fish for bones and remove any bones that the market may have missed.
- NEVER use regular table salt for the cure. Always use a coarse sea salt or rock salt. Regular table salt will result in a extra salty piece of fish.
- Make sure to use something heavy enough to place on top of the fish while it cures in the fridge. This helps to press the moisture out.
- It is important to drain and flip your fish every 12 hours. This help it to cure evenly.
- For a medium cure, leave it for 36-48 hours. For a hard cure, leave it for 72 hours.
- Be sure to fully rinse the salt off the fish, otherwise it will become too salty.
- Cured salmon will last about 5 days in the fridge.
- To freeze: Cut the cured salmon into the sizes that you want to freeze. For best results, use a vacuum sealer. If you don't have a vacuum sealer, wrap the fish in plastic wrap then seal in an airtight container. Can be kept in the freezer for up to 3 months. To thaw, place in the fridge overnight. Note that the texture will be slightly different than if eaten fresh.
Serving: 2oz | Calories: 115kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 31mg | Sodium: 4744mg | Potassium: 287mg | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 85IU | Calcium: 13mg | Iron: 0.6mg