Leftover Mashed Potato Dumplings
Mixed with cheese, bacon, butter and salty delicious potato chips, stuffed in a wonton wrapper and baked until golden brown and crispy, these Mashed Potato Dumplings are easy to make and are a party favorite!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 8 servings
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 5 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tbsp. butter, softened or melted, plus 1 tbsp. melted
- 2 tbsp. scallions, minced
- 1/2 cup potato chips, smashed
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- Salt to taste
- Wonton wrappers (30-40 wrappers)
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Combine all ingredients (except 1 tbsp. melted butter and wonton wrappers) in a bowl and mix to combine.
Place a wonton wrapper on a flat surface and place 1 tbsp. of the potato mixture in the center. Wet the edges with water and place in the wonton press. If you don't have a wonton press, just seal the edges securely with your fingers. Place wonton on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. (see post above for step by step photos)
Continue until all potato mixture has been used. Brush the tops with the melted tbsp. of butter. Place in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the wontons are golden brown.
- Be sure to wet the edges of the wonton wrapper with either water or egg white to seal the edges. If the edges are not properly sealed, the filling will leak out when baking.
- If you're sealing with your fingers, go over the edges with a fork to make sure they are sealed well.
- Check on the dumplings periodically to ensure the edges are not burning.
- To freeze: before brushing with butter place them on a baking sheet directly in the freezer for 3 hours. Once frozen, place them in a freezer bag and store for up to 3 months. Brush them with butter and bake them straight from frozen, adding an additional 5-10 minutes to the cook time.
- To make ahead: make the wonton filling and stuff the wontons. Store on a flat baking sheet, covered, in the fridge overnight. Brush with butter and bake according to the recipe instructions.
Serving: 2wontons | Calories: 228kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 32mg | Sodium: 254mg | Potassium: 313mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 285IU | Vitamin C: 13.9mg | Calcium: 118mg | Iron: 0.5mg