Instant Pot Turkey Bone Broth
So perfect and flavorful, this turkey bone broth is super simple to make and packed full of nourishing nutrients.
Servings 20 servings
- 1 turkey carcass (or 2-3 lbs. turkey bones)
- 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 1/2 onion
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 tsp. whole peppercorns
- water, to cover
Add all the ingredients to the Instant Pot and cover with water. Keep water about 2" below the max fill line (maximum). Cook on high pressure for 120 minutes. Let pressure release naturally.
Place in the fridge overnight, then skim the excess fat off the next morning (see layer of fat in photo below). I'll be honest, I leave the fat. I think it gives the broth an extra richness that I love. The choice is yours.
Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 1 week, or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- I use a 6 quart Instant Pot, but the 8 quart can be used as well. Follow the same instructions. The water should cover the bones plus a couple inches, if you have room. **I have read that there could possibly be a safety issue with filling the Instant Pot to the max fill line with liquid. I have not personally had any issues, but just to be safe I recommend filling 2″ below the max fill line.
- I do not add any salt to the bone broth. You are welcome to salt yours, but I prefer to do it after the fact. If you do choose to add salt, add it after the broth has cooked.
- For a completely smooth bone broth, strain through a sieve. Personally I use a finely woven wire mesh strainer, but I don't need a perfectly smooth broth. You can strain it more than once if necessary.
- Straining the fat off the top is optional. I leave it as it adds a depth to the broth that I enjoy.
- Store the bone broth in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
- To freeze: Pour the bone broth in an ice cube tray and freeze it. Once frozen, put the frozen cubes in a freezer bag so you can easily use it. For anything not frozen in ice cubes, I recommend freezing in 1 cup portions. It can be stored for up to 6 months in the freezer.
Serving: 0.5cup | Calories: 21kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 6mg | Sodium: 9mg | Potassium: 47mg | Vitamin A: 1020IU | Vitamin C: 0.6mg | Calcium: 5mg | Iron: 0.1mg