Creamy Shrimp Scampi with Tortellini
This Creamy Shrimp Scampi has all the good stuff...butter, garlic, cheesy tortellini, white wine and a spritz of fresh lemon juice
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
Servings 6 servings
- 1 lbs. shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 16 oz. cheese tortellini, cooked and drained
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 tomato, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. coconut sugar
- 3/4 cup white wine
- Juice of half lemon
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tbsp. fresh parsley, minced
Heat the olive oil and butter in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the tomato, garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
Add the white wine and lemon and simmer for 4-5 minutes. Add the shrimp and cook for 1 minute.
Add the coconut sugar, salt, pepper, and cream and simmer for 3-4 minutes, until thickened slightly. Sauce should stick the the back of a spoon.
Then add the cooked tortellini, stir and heat to boiling. Let simmer for about 2 minutes, until sauce thickens from the starch in the pasta.
Remove from heat, garnish with parsley and serve with crusty bread.
- I highly recommend using large shrimp for this creamy shrimp scampi - go for the 21/30 count shrimp. I find these to be the perfect size.
- Any kind of fresh or frozen tortellini will do, however, I prefer the cheese.
- You definitely want to use fresh garlic in this recipe - it makes all the difference!
- Use the best olive oil you have. The olive oil will really shine here, so the better the olive oil, the better the dish.
- Buy some good crusty French bread to sop up all the delicious sauce.
- To thicken a too thin sauce: Typically, the starch from the pasta acts as a great thickening agent. However, if you are still struggling with thin sauce, you can make a cornstarch slurry from 1 tbsp. of cornstarch mixed with 1 tbsp. of water in a small bowl. Pour the slurry into the sauce, stirring continuously, a little at a time, until the sauce is as thick as you'd like.
Serving: 1.5cups | Calories: 400kcal