Smothered Okra and tomatoes is a thick and delicious southern style dish with lots of Cajun flavor!
Servings 6 servings
Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes, until softened.
Add the green pepper and okra and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the tomatoes, broth and seasonings and bring to a simmer.
Cover and simmer on low heat for an hour, or until the sliminess of the okra disappears.
Serve plain or over rice with Louisiana hot sauce (optional).
- Keep cooking the okra until it's no longer slimy.
- If the okra mixture becomes too dry while cooking, add some water or more broth.
- For extra heat, add more cayenne pepper or hot sauce, or substitute the green pepper for jalapeño pepper.
- Taste the smothered okra before serving and add more salt to taste, if desired.
- To make this dish vegetarian, use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
- If you use no salt added or low sodium broth, you may need to add more salt to taste.
- You can use fresh tomatoes in this recipe, but you’ll need the juices too. If your tomatoes aren’t that juicy, you may want to add more broth.
Serving: 0.5cups | Calories: 58kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 5mg | Sodium: 474mg | Potassium: 353mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 1829IU | Vitamin C: 36mg | Calcium: 75mg | Iron: 1mg