Honey Roasted Parsnips
Honey Roasted Parsnips are tender, sweet and caramelized with crispy bacon and thyme. Perfect side dish for a Sunday roast or holiday dinner!
Servings 6 servings
- 1 pound parsnips peeled and sliced in 1" thick slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 pieces bacon cooked and crumbled
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
Preheat the oven to 425F degrees.
Toss the parsnips with the olive oil, salt and pepper and spread out onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
Roast for 20 minutes.
While roasting, mix the honey, thyme and nutmeg together.
Remove and place the parsnips in a bowl.
Pour the honey mixture and crumbled bacon on top and mix to coat.
Pour them back on the baking sheet and roast another 5-10 minutes, until browned and caramelized on the outside.
Serve immediately garnished with more fresh thyme.
- For even cooking, make sure the parsnips are cut into roughly the same size. Otherwise, smaller pieces will burn before bigger pieces are fully cooked.
- If you cut the parsnips into slices thicker than 1-inch, you’ll need to roast them a little longer.
- I prefer to use medium-sized parsnips for this recipe. Larger ones can sometimes be tough and woody.
- If your parsnips are really large, you may want to cut out the core.
- Make sure you use a good quality olive oil for roasting the parsnips. You can also use avocado oil if you prefer.
- Roast the parsnips in a single layer. If you place them too close together, they will steam instead of roast. You can roast them on two baking sheets if necessary.
- Make sure you wait for the last 5-10 minutes of cooking to add the honey mixture and bacon. If you add them too early, they may burn.
Serving: 4ounces | Calories: 151kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 5mg | Sodium: 444mg | Potassium: 306mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 27IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 31mg | Iron: 1mg