Instant Pot Basmati Rice
Enjoy fluffy rice every time with this Instant Pot Basmati Rice. You only need 3 ingredients and 20 minutes to make this easy side dish!
Servings 6 servings
Rinse the rice in a colander until the water runs mostly clear.
Combine the rice, water, coconut oil or ghee and salt in a non-stick Instant Pot insert.
Cook on high pressure for 4 minutes, then natural release for 10 minutes.
Release any remaining pressure, fluff and serve.
- Keep the 1:1 ratio for the rice and water. If you adjust this ratio, you will end up with sticky and mushy rice.
- Don’t forget to rinse the rice first. Removing excess starch will help prevent the rice from getting gummy.
- While it might be tempting to leave out the cooking fat (i.e. ghee or coconut oil) to reduce calories, these are essential for flavor and to keep the rice from sticking together.
- To keep the rice from sticking to the bottom of the Instant Pot, I like to use a non-stick Instant Pot insert.
- For extra flavor, you can replace the water with veggie broth or this Instant Pot chicken bone broth.
- For extra flavor, you can add some garlic, ginger or pepper to the rice as it cooks.
- Topping the rice with chopped fresh herbs before serving it is also a great way to change up the flavor.
- Be sure to naturally release the pressure when the timer goes off. The rice will need this extra time to keep cooking and get tender.
- Once all the pressure is released, remove the insert from the Instant Pot so the rice stops cooking.
- While the rice pressure cooks on high in just 4 minutes, you’ll also need to factor in time for pressure to build and release in the Instant Pot.
Serving: 0.5cups | Calories: 245kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 395mg | Potassium: 71mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Calcium: 20mg | Iron: 1mg