Sous Vide Bacon
For the best melt-in-your-mouth bacon, try this Sous Vide Bacon. It’s tender, juicy and crispy, and the perfect addition to weekend brunches!
Servings 4 people
- 1 package thick cut bacon
Heat a sous vide water bath to 145F degrees.
Place the bacon in a vacuum seal bag and seal.
Cook bacon for 12-24 hours (24 hours results in the most tender bacon).
Remove and place in an ice bath for a few minutes to cool.
Open the bag and separate the bacon slices carefully.
Heat a skillet over medium-low heat and add the bacon slices in a single layer (you will have to cook in batches).
Cook about 5-7 minutes per side, or until bacon is crisped and golden brown.
Remove and place on a paper towel lined plate to allow the grease to drain.
Serve with eggs, toast, hash browns or pancakes.
- To avoid bacteria entering the bag while the bacon cooks, make sure the sealable bag is sealed properly.
- The bag may start to float, especially for a long cooking time of 24 hours. For safe and even cooking, the bag should be completely submerged in the water bath.
- To prevent floating, use something heavy to weigh the bag down like a wet towel or a sous vide sinker weight.
- If air gets in the bag, you can just open it, let the air out and reseal it.
- You’ll also need to make sure that the water level is maintained in the water bath. If evaporation occurs, just add more water to the bath.
- For the best results, make sure you’re using thick cut bacon. If you use regular cut bacon, it will not turn out as tender and juicy.
- After the water bath, you’ll need to brown the bacon for 5-7 minutes per side. Be careful not to over brown it as the bacon may burn or get too crispy and lose its tender texture.
- For even browning, arrange the bacon in a single layer in the skillet. This will require browning it in 2-3 batches.
- Feel free to double the recipe by placing two bags of bacon in your water bath (as long as they both fit).
Serving: 2pieces | Calories: 473kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 45g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 7g | Monounsaturated Fat: 20g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 75mg | Sodium: 751mg | Potassium: 225mg | Vitamin A: 42IU | Calcium: 6mg | Iron: 1mg