Candied Ginger Recipe
This homemade candied ginger is super amazing and easy to make!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 50 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
Servings 6 servings
- 16 oz. fresh ginger, peeled and diced or sliced
- 2 cups granulated sugar, plus 1/2 cup
- water (about 2 cups)
Cut ginger into small pieces or thin slices. Pieces should be about 1/2 inch in diameter. Slices should be about 1/4" thick. Pieces will keep a slightly chewy bite in the center, while slices are easier to dip in chocolate.
Place the ginger slices in a saucepan and cover with water. Simmer for 20 minutes, then drain.
Place back in sauce pan, add 2 cups of sugar and cover with water. Heat to boiling, then simmer for 45 minutes.
Drain (reserving the syrup) then spread on a parchment or wax paper lined baking sheet.
Let the ginger dry overnight on the kitchen counter.
Place 1/2 cup sugar in a bowl, along with the dried ginger (ginger will still be sticky) and mix to coat the ginger with the sugar.
Place ginger back on the baking sheet and let sit for several hours.
Remove excess sugar and store in an airtight container.
- Use a mandolin to get uniform slices;
- Dip the ginger in dark chocolate after coating it in sugar to give as gifts or just an extra special treat for yourself;
- Buy the smaller pieces of ginger as the larger tend to be woodier and will take longer to soften.
Calories: 318kcal | Carbohydrates: 80g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 10mg | Potassium: 314mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 68g | Vitamin C: 3.8mg | Calcium: 12mg | Iron: 0.5mg