Cajun Shrimp and Grits
This Cajun shrimp and grits is made with creamy Parmesan grits topped with plump, juicy shrimp cooked in butter and Cajun seasonings.
Course Breakfast, Main Course
Cuisine American, Cajun/Creole
Prep Time 10 minutes minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes minutes
Total Time 55 minutes minutes
Servings 8 servings
Mix the shrimp with the baking soda and ¼ teaspoon of salt and set aside for 30 minutes.
Heat the chicken stock to boiling and add the grits.
Bring to a simmer, turn the heat down and simmer on low (covered) for 30-45 minutes.
Stir in the butter, ½ teaspoon salt and the parmesan cheese.
Adjust salt to taste and set aside, keeping warm.
Heat a skillet over medium heat and sauté the pancetta until golden brown. Remove and set aside.
Add the shrimp and cook until pink throughout, about 2 minutes, flipping halfway through. Remove and set aside.
Add the mushrooms and cook until they just start to release their liquid.
Add the garlic, thyme and shallot to the mushrooms and sauté until mushrooms are soft and the garlic and shallot are very lightly browned.
Add the brandy and Cajun seasoning and cook 1 minute.
Add the white wine and cook another 2-3 minutes.
Add the shrimp and pancetta back in and mix to combine.
Remove from heat and and serve over grits, garnished with green onions.
- Add additional Cajun seasoning to taste if needed.
- For extra spice, add ¼ to ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
- Add a couple tablespoons of broth if there is not enough liquid in the pan.
- If you don't have brandy, you can just leave it out. However, I believe it adds a wonderful flavor to the sauce.
- Make sure to stir the grits periodically to prevent them from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- You may need to add additional salt to the grits if you used unsalted broth.
- You can use this same recipe for chicken thighs, sauteed vegetables to keep it vegetarian, fish, or pork.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 255kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 0.2g | Cholesterol: 30mg | Sodium: 504mg | Potassium: 324mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 435IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 72mg | Iron: 1mg