Beef consommé is a deep, flavorful, clear, delicious beef stock concentrated with the flavors of the beef and aromatics it is cooked with.
Prep Time 10 minutes minutes
Cook Time 2 hours hours
Total Time 2 hours hours 10 minutes minutes
Servings 20 servings
- 1 pound lean ground beef 93/7 or leaner
- 4 tablespoons egg whites or 4 egg whites
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- ½ teaspoon peppercorns
- 3 tablespoons minced onion
- 1 carrot minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt more if using unsalted stock
- 20 cups beef stock cooled
Whip the egg whites until frothy and set aside.
Combine the beef with all other ingredients (except stock) and mix well to combine.
Lightly mix in the egg whites and place the beef mixture flat on the bottom of a large stock pot.
Slowly pour the cool beef stock over the top and bring to a simmer. *As the ground beef mixture rises, make a hole in the middle for the steam to rise while it simmers.
Cover and simmer on very low for 2 hours. You NEVER want it to boil.
Remove the lid and carefully strain the consommé until clear (you may need to do it more than once).
- As the beef "patty" rises to the top, make sure there is a hole in the middle or at the sides to let the steam escape.
- Make sure the consommé does not boil, only lightly simmers. Boiling will cause to much disruption and will cause a cloudy consommé.
- You will need a large stock pot capable of holding more than 20 cups of stock.
- You will likely need to strain it 2-3 times to get a nice clear, clean looking consommé.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 67kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 0.1g | Cholesterol: 14mg | Sodium: 620mg | Potassium: 549mg | Fiber: 0.2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 525IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 24mg | Iron: 1mg