Sous Vide Corned Beef
This sous vide corned beef is ultra tender and buttery soft - just about fork tender - with a delicious caramelization on the outside!
Course Main Course
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 2 days
Total Time 2 days 30 minutes
Servings 8 servings
- 1 3-5 pound corned beef brisket with seasoning packet
- 1 medium onion chopped
- ⅓ cup beef stock
Heat a sous vide water bath to 145F degrees.
Rinse the corned beef thoroughly and let it soak in cool water for 30-60 minutes.
Rinse again and place in a vacuum seal bag (or freezer bag if using the water displacement method - see post above) with the seasoning packet, beef stock and onion.
Seal and cook in the water bath for 48 hours.
Remove from the bag and pat dry.
Heat a cast iron skillet over medium high heat and add 1 tablespoon of cooking oil.
Brown the brisket for 1-2 minutes on each side and remove.
Slice and serve with cabbage and carrots optional).
How to Roast Cabbage and Carrots:
Heat the oven to 400F degrees.
Chop 1 head of cabbage into 8 pieces and place on a baking sheet.
Chop 6-8 carrots into 2" pieces and place on a baking sheet.
Drizzle the cabbage and carrots with 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper.
Use your hands to massage the oil, salt and pepper into the vegetables.
Roast for 30-40 minutes, flipping everything over halfway through.
Serve with corned beef.
- Make sure to rinse the corned beef and soak for at least 30 minutes to remove any excess salt before putting it in the water bath.
- Make it ahead of time and store in the fridge for 1-2 weeks (in the bag) or freezer until ready to use. Heat for 30-60 minutes in a 145F sous vide water bath.
- Make sure the corned beef stay submerged while cooking - otherwise you risk it cooking unevenly and can also promote bacteria growth in the bag. Use a sous vide sinker weight if your bag is floating.
- You can also place the cooked corned beef under the broiler (or over a grill) instead of using a cast iron skillet to brown it.
Serving: 6ounces | Calories: 456kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 34g | Fat: 34g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 16g | Cholesterol: 122mg | Sodium: 2780mg | Potassium: 712mg | Fiber: 0.2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 0.3IU | Vitamin C: 62mg | Calcium: 20mg | Iron: 4mg