The ultimate guide on How to make a Roux with step-by-step instructions.
Prep Time 2 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 32 minutes
Servings 4 servings
- .5 cup flour
- .5 cup fat (cooking oil, butter, animal fats)
Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat and add the fat.
Add the flour and heat over medium heat, whisking constantly.
Continue stirring until desired color is reached. Less than 5 minutes for white, 5-10 minutes for blond, 15-25 minutes for medium brown and 30-40 minutes for dark brown. (See additional details in the post above)
- Any animal fat can be to make roux. Try using butter, oil, duck fat, goose fat, ghee, coconut oil,
- When making a dark brown roux, I don't recommend using butter. Butter has milk solids in it when have a tendency to burn if cooked for an extended amount of time.
- Roux should be whisked continuously while cooking to avoid burning.
- When making a dark roux, it will go from a dark chocolate color to burned very quickly - make sure to pay attention.
Serving: 0.25cup | Calories: 297kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 16mg | Sodium: 3mg | Potassium: 35mg | Iron: 0.8mg