Homemade Crawfish Pie
This Crawfish Pie is made with the most amazing rich crawfish etouffee stuffed inside a butterly pie crust and baked until golden brown - it's the ultimate comfort food!
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 55 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
Servings 8 servings
Press one pie crust into an un-greased pie plate. Bake the pie crust (use pie weights) at 400 degrees for 7 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Heat the butter (or fat of choice) and flour over medium heat, stirring regularly until it turns a caramel color. It should take about 10-15 minutes.
Add the onions and green peppers and cook for about 1-2 minutes.
Add the tomatoes and Cajun seasoning and cook for 1-2 minutes.
Add the fish broth and bring to a boil; simmer for 5 minutes.
Add the cream and crawfish and bring back to a simmer for 5 minutes. Add additional Cajun seasoning to taste if desired.
Remove from heat and pour into the par-baked pie crust.
Top with the second pie crust. Cut slits in top of crust so the filling doesn't leak out. Make sure to seal the pie crust around the edges to prevent the filling from leaking out.
Brush with the egg wash (1 beaten egg mixed with 1 tbsp. water).
Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.
Remove from oven and let cool for 20 minutes. Slice and serve garnished with green onions and Louisiana hot sauce.
- To make the roux, butter, oil, bacon fat, duck fat, etc. can be used as the fat. I prefer to use duck fat when I have it.
- If you can't find crawfish tails, shrimp can be substituted.
- If you buy whole crawfish, you will need to remove the tails and peel them. Save the skins and crawfish bodies to make broth.
- Be sure to stir the roux continuously to prevent it from burning. If it burns you have to start over.
- Add additional Cajun seasoning to taste if necessary before pouring the mixture in the pie crust.
- Any excess filling can be served on the side or saved and served with rice the next day.
- The fish broth can be substituted with any kind of seafood broth.
Serving: 1slice | Calories: 368kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 123mg | Sodium: 484mg | Potassium: 406mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 2340IU | Vitamin C: 17.5mg | Calcium: 74mg | Iron: 3.3mg