Fresh zucchini, squash, onions and tomatoes cooked up with sweet corn and green chilies then topped with crumbled, salty queso fresco, this Calabacitas Recipe (Calabacitas Con Queso) is incredibly easy to make in under 30 minutes!
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
Servings 6 servings
- 2 tbsp. olive oil, bacon fat or cooking oil
- 2 zucchini cut in 1" pieces
- 2 squash cut in 1" pieces
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 1 can sweet corn drained
- 20 grape tomatoes halved
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 4 oz. diced green chilies drained
- 1/2 cup Queso fresco (more if desired)
- chopped fresh cilantro (optional for garnish)
Heat the fat in a skillet over medium heat and saute the onions until they are translucent, about 3-5 minutes.
Add zucchini and squash and cook until they start to tenderize, about 3-4 minutes.
Add the corn and diced chilies and saute for about 5 minutes.
Add the tomatoes and cook another 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper and remove from heat.
Add queso fresco, mix and serve.
- Add the corn and green chilies just as the zucchini starts to get a little brown around the edges. You don't want to overcook the vegetables;
- The tomatoes are added at the end so they don't break down;
- The recipe calls for 1/2 cup of cheese, but add as little or as much as you'd like.
Serving: 0.5cups | Calories: 101kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 2g | Sodium: 1042mg | Potassium: 787mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 20215IU | Vitamin C: 52.1mg | Calcium: 109mg | Iron: 1.5mg