Lyonnaise Potatoes Recipe
Thinly sliced potatoes baked in duck fat until crispy, then mixed with caramelized onions, crushed red peppers and fresh lemon juice.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 35 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
Servings 4 servings
- 1 lbs. potatoes, sliced thin (about 2 large potatoes)
- 1/4 cup duck fat
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 onion sliced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1-2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Fresh parsley chopped
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
Parboil sliced potatoes in boiling water for 1-2 minutes.
Spread potatoes on a baking sheet and cover with the duck fat and salt. Bake for 20 minutes.
Heat butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and saute until they start to soften and lightly brown, 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
Remove potatoes from oven after 20 minutes and add the cooked onions and chopped garlic. Place back in the oven for 10 minutes.
Remove from oven and toss with the crushed red pepper and fresh lemon juice.
- Use Russet potatoes because they will crisp up the best.
- Use a mandolin to ensure the potatoes are sliced thin enough.
- The duck fat can be substituted with butter, cooking oil (not as good flavor), bacon fat, etc.
- Be careful not to overcook the potatoes while par boiling. They should only be cooked for 1-2 minutes.
- If potatoes are not crisp enough, pop them under the broiler for a couple minutes - be careful not to let them burn.
- The onions should be soft and golden brown - we don't want to totally caramelize them, just cook them long enough to bring out the sweetness.
- Add more or less crushed red pepper depending on your spice preference.
Serving: 0.5cups | Calories: 220kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 28mg | Sodium: 100mg | Potassium: 320mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 915IU | Vitamin C: 10.5mg | Calcium: 36mg | Iron: 2.3mg