Salted Caramel Apple Galette Recipe
Easy Salted Caramel Apple Galette made with sauteed apples, cinnamon, coconut sugar, a touch of nutmeg & salted caramel folded into a rustic galette.
Servings 6 servings
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Heat the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the apples and saute until they start to soften, about 5-7 minutes.
Add the cinnamon, nutmeg, coconut sugar, and lemon juice. Continue cooking, stirring periodically to prevent burning, for about 5 minutes. The mixture should be thick.
Remove from heat and set aside. Lay the pie crust on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Pour half the caramel mixture on the pie crust and spread (see below for caramel instructions).
Pour the apple mixture on top, leaving about 2-3 inches at the edge of the crust, and drizzle with the remaining melted caramel.
Fold up the edges around the apple mixture. Brush the edges with egg wash and sprinkle with the coarse granulated sugar. Dot little pieces of butter on top of the apples.
Bake for 40 minutes, or until crust is golden brown. Remove and let cool fully before slicing. Serve with vanilla ice cream.
How to Make Salted Caramel
- Always bake the galette in the middle of the oven to prevent over browning;
- Bake on a rimmed baking sheet on a layer of parchment - this prevents sticking and spillage.
- A layer of caramel on the crust before adding the apples prevents it from getting soggy;
- Cooking the apples before adding them allows them to release some liquid, which helps prevent the crust from getting soggy when we bake the galette;
- Don't over stuff the galette - if it is too full the crust may become soggy. The apples should be in an even layer;
- I HIGHLY recommend using granny smith apples - they release less liquid and have a great flavor when cooked.
Serving: 1slice | Calories: 373kcal | Carbohydrates: 58g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 41mg | Sodium: 317mg | Potassium: 220mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 35g | Vitamin A: 265IU | Vitamin C: 6.5mg | Calcium: 55mg | Iron: 1.1mg