Chocolate Bread Recipe with Orange Glaze
This amazingly delicious and rich Orange Chocolate Bread is made with cocoa powder, orange zest, orange juice, buttermilk and filled with creamy chocolate chips.
Servings 12 servings
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Combine all the dry ingredients and set aside.
Use a mixer to cream the butter and sugar - beat until fluffy (about 1 minute).
Add the eggs, orange zest and vanilla extract and beat for 1 minute. Add the orange juice, yogurt and buttermilk and mix well.
Combine the wet and dry ingredients, being careful not to over-mix. If you over-mix, the bread will the tougher and drier. Gently stir in the chocolate chips.
Grease a loaf pan. Pour the batter into the loaf pan. Bake for 50-60 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. or internal temperature is 190 degrees.
Let cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes. Remove from pan and finish cooling on a wire rack.
- Be sure to use softened or room temperature butter or your batter will not be smooth;
- Add an additional ½ cup of chocolate chips if you want the bread to be extra chocolaty;
- For a stronger orange flavor, add more orange zest;
- Make sure to thoroughly grease the pan, otherwise it may be difficult to get your bread out;
- Use a toothpick to test doneness. If it comes out clean, the bread is done - if it comes out covered in batter, bake for additional time. You can also use a thermometer - it should read 190 degrees when the bread is done;
- Drizzle with orange glaze once the bread is mostly cooled. If you can wait. However, the orange glaze is optional if you prefer to eat it plain (or with yummy salted butter).
Serving: 1piece | Calories: 234kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 29mg | Sodium: 220mg | Potassium: 141mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 28g | Vitamin A: 115IU | Vitamin C: 11.5mg | Calcium: 36mg | Iron: 1.7mg