Roast Goose Recipe with Honey Orange Glaze
Marinaded in a few simple ingredients, roasted to perfection, and glazed in the most amazing honey glaze, this roast goose is also super easy to make
Servings 6 servings
Combine all the marinade ingredients in bowl. Place the goose in a large roasting pan and stuff with the orange quarters.
Rub the marinade all over the goose massaging into the skin on both sides. Cover with the coarse sea salt and place in the fridge for 12-24 hours, uncovered.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. With a sharp knife or skewer, poke holes in the skin of the goose all over, being careful not to pierce the skin. This helps the fat to render.
Place the goose on a roasting rack, breast side down, and roast for 1 hour. Drain excess fat from the pan and reserve. Flip the goose over and roast another hour. Drain excess fat from the pan and reserve.
Turn the heat up to 400 degrees and brush the goose with half of the honey glaze. Cook for 15 minutes. Baste again with remaining honey mixture and cook another 15-20 minutes, or until the temperature of the goose reads 160 degrees.
Remove and let rest for 15 minutes. Temperature will rise to 165 degrees while the goose is resting.
- It is important to let the goose sit in the fridge, salted and uncovered, for at least 12 hours (24 is better) to allow the moisture in the skin to evaporate. This helps the skin stay crispy;
- If the goose starts to brown too much while roasting, cover the pan in aluminum foil;
- Be sure to periodically spoon the rendered fat from the pan into a heat proof container. You'll want to reserve all this fat to use in cooking other dishes (scroll down for some ideas on using goose fat);
- Don't skip poking holes in the duck - this allows the fat to render out;
- The meat should technically be cooked to 165 degrees - it's ok if the meat is pink, as long as the temperature is 165 degrees;
- You can substitute dry sherry for the Shaoxing wine.
- For a stronger orange flavor, add 1/2 tsp. of orange zest to the honey glaze.
- Flipping the goose while roasting keeps the breast meat from drying out.
- Reserve the goose carcass to make goose stock or bone broth.
Serving: 6oz | Calories: 2529kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 108g | Fat: 229g | Saturated Fat: 66g | Cholesterol: 544mg | Sodium: 4290mg | Potassium: 2212mg | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 700IU | Vitamin C: 34.7mg | Calcium: 110mg | Iron: 18.1mg