Caramelized Onion & Apple Flatbread Pizza recipe
The perfect New Year's Eve party appetizer, this Flatbread Pizza Recipe is made with sweet caramelized onions, salty, smoky crumbles of bacon, tart apples, crumbled blue cheese and a drizzle of honey
Servings 4 servings
- 2 flatbreads
- 2 medium onions sliced
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 8 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1 apple thinly sliced
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 2 tbsp. honey
Add sliced onions and butter to a medium saucepan (2 quart) and cook over medium heat, stirring periodically until onions are caramelized, about 20 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Place flatbreads on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Spread onions on top and layer sliced apples over the onions. Top with the crumbled bacon and blue cheese.
Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until edges start to brown and flatbread starts to crisp. Remove from oven and drizzle with warm honey. Slice and serve.
- You can substitute pita bread or naan for the crust if desired. You may need to adjust the cook time up to allow a thicker crust to crisp.
- Any kind of apple will work, just make sure it's sliced in thin pieces.
- The onions will start to brown and caramelize after about 10 minutes. When they are done, they will look slightly mushy. This is ok.
- The caramelized onions can be made ahead of time and stored in a airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Warm the honey slightly to make it easier to drizzle on the flatbread pizza.
- Cut the flatbread in bite size pieces for party appetizers if desired.
- Flatbread pizza can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days. Wrap it in plastic wrap or place in a plastic bag to store. Or freeze per below instructions.
- To freeze after cooking, wrap the pizza in wax paper then plastic wrap or foil. Place in a freezer bag and freezer for up to one month. I don't recommend freezing this before cooking.
Serving: 1flatbread | Calories: 384kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 52mg | Sodium: 384mg | Potassium: 250mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 320IU | Vitamin C: 6.2mg | Calcium: 21mg | Iron: 1mg