Instant Pot Masala Chicken Curry Stew
This Instant Pot Masala Chicken Curry Stew is the ultimate cold weather comfort food, and may just be the easiest recipe you will ever make.
Servings 6 servings
Combine all ingredients EXCEPT the peas, basmati rice, yogurt and cilantro in the Instant Pot. Cook on high pressure for 15 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes, then use the manual release to release any remaining pressure.
Turn the Instant to the normal saute setting and bring to a simmer. Add the peas and simmer for about 3 minutes. Add additional salt to taste if necessary. Place in bowls over basmati rice and garnish with 1-2 tbsp. of plain yogurt and cilantro. Serve with naan bread.
- Chicken breasts can be used in place of thighs, but the result is not as tender and juicy.
- Add more or less jalapenos depending on the level of spice you'd like. I find 2 jalapenos adds just enough spice.
- I always recommend full fat coconut milk be used to provide a richness to the stew. Lite can be substituted, but the result will be a thinner, less rich stew.
- Chicken stock has more flavor and richness than chicken broth. I highly recommend using your own homemade chicken stock, or a very good store brand stock. You can also use chicken bone broth which results in an amazing silky feel to your stew.
- If you don't have basmati rice, any rice will do. However, I don't recommend plain white rice as it tends to be too starchy. I would use jasmine, brown, or wild rice in place of the basmati.
- Naan bread is a wonderful accompaniment to chicken curry stew. You can also serve this with additional basmati rice for a thicker curry stew. Chutney and yogurt can be served with chicken curry as well for a flavor contrast.
- Store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. To reheat, use the microwave or place in a large pot over medium heat until heated through.
- To freeze: Place the stew in either one airtight container, or multiple serving size airtight containers for convenience. Personally, I use a Foodsaver to freeze individual servings of the stew. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight and reheat in the microwave or place in a large pot over medium heat until heated through.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 289kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 74mg | Sodium: 1236mg | Potassium: 467mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 125IU | Vitamin C: 11.1mg | Calcium: 48mg | Iron: 1.7mg