Cauliflower Tikka Masala
The cauliflower tikka masala is filled with bold flavors, mild spices and is the ultimate in comfort food! Plus, it doesn't hurt that this curry takes less than 30 minutes to make!
Servings 6 servings
Preheat the oven to 425F degrees.
Coat the cauliflower in the coconut oil, 1 teaspoon of the salt and the black pepper.
Place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
While the cauliflower is roasting, heat the ghee in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat.
Add the ginger, garlic and onions and sauté for 3-5 minutes, until softened and starting to brown.
Add the ground spices and remaining teaspoon of salt and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly to ensure it doesn't burn.
Add the tomato sauce, coconut sugar and coconut milk and bring to a simmer for 5 minutes.
Add the roasted cauliflower, stir to coat the cauliflower and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Remove from heat and sprinkle with chopped cilantro. Serve with a lime wedge, basmati rice and/or naan bread.
How to Toast Cumin and Coriander Seeds
Place the whole spices in a skillet over medium low heat. Toss the spice every 30 seconds or so, and continue toasting until they become fragrant (you will smell them).
Remove them from the heat and place in a mortar or a spice grinder and grind.
- I highly recommend toasting and grinding the cumin seeds and coriander seeds for the best fresh flavor.
- Try to cut the cauliflower in equal pieces so it roasts evenly.
- If the cauliflower is in smaller pieces, you may need to reduce the roasting time (note I used cauliflower that was about 2" in diameter).
- When you add the spices, be sure to stir constantly to make sure the spices don't burn. If they start sticking to the bottom of the pan, go ahead and stir in the tomato sauce to prevent sticking.
- Add ¼ to ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper for added spice. You can also use hot paprika for extra spice.
- If the sauce is too thin, slowly stir in a cornstarch slurry until the desired consistency is reached. To make a cornstarch slurry, mix 1 tablespoon of water with 1 tablespoon of cornstarch.
- To make this recipe vegan: Substitute coconut oil for the ghee.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 156kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 13mg | Sodium: 851mg | Potassium: 535mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 185IU | Vitamin C: 75mg | Calcium: 47mg | Iron: 1mg