Seafood Rice is a spicy, one-pan meal filled with rice, smoked sausage and seafood. It’s a Cajun twist on paella that’s more budget friendly!
Servings 6 people
- 1 pound mixed seafood frozen
- ½ pound smoked sausage sliced
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- 1 green pepper diced
- ½ onion diced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 2 ½ cups chicken or seafood stock low sodium
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- fresh lemon
- chopped green onions
Sauté the sausage in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until caramelized around the edges. Remove and set aside.
Melt the butter and add the green pepper, garlic and onion. Sauté for 3-5 minutes, until softened and fragrant.
Add the wine and cook for 2 minutes.
Add the chicken (or seafood) stock, Cajun seasoning, salt and sausage back in and bring to a boil.
Add the rice and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
Remove the lid and add the frozen mixed seafood, gently stirring it in.
Replace the lid and cook for another 5-10 minutes, until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender.
Serve topped with chopped green onions and drizzled with fresh lemon juice.
- If necessary, you can substitute another type of rice in place of the long-grain. You may just need to adjust the cook time and liquid to rice ratio.
- If you’re not using homemade or low sodium chicken broth, you may wish to reduce the amount of salt you add to the rice.
- If you like your seafood rice spicier, add a little extra cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes.
- You can use any kind of mix of frozen seafood you prefer. If you’d like to use fresh or a single variety of seafood, you can do that too.
- For the smoked sausage, you can use any kind you like. Chorizo or andouille sausage will also work.
- In place of the dry white wine, you can just use more broth.
- You can substitute the green pepper for red, yellow or orange pepper. It will just add a sweeter taste to the rice.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 531kcal | Carbohydrates: 58g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 50mg | Sodium: 1248mg | Potassium: 341mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 884IU | Vitamin C: 17mg | Calcium: 35mg | Iron: 1mg