Sous Vide Swordfish
Sous Vide Swordfish cooks in just 45 minutes with a moist and tender texture and served with a flavorful grapefruit and shallot sauce.
Servings 2 people
- 2 pieces swordfish
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ cup grapefruit juice
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 shallot thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon salt for sauce
Heat a sous vide water bath to 120F degrees.
Coat the swordfish with the salt and pepper and place in a vacuum seal bag.
Cook for 45 minutes.
Remove and pat dry.
Heat the butter in a skillet over medium heat and add the shallots and thyme.
Cook for 3-5 minutes, until shallots have softened.
Add the grapefruit juice and simmer 2-3 minutes.
Serve the swordfish topped with the grapefruit and shallot sauce. Garnish with chunks of fresh grapefruit if desired.
- To ensure the swordfish pieces cook evenly, buy steaks that have the same thickness (around 1 - 1½ inches thick).
- If your steaks are really thick, you may need to increase the cooking time by about 15 minutes or so.
- When sealing the bag, make sure the steaks are in a single layer. This will help them cook evenly.
- Make sure the air is removed from the sealable bag to avoid bacteria getting into it.
- The bag of swordfish should be completely submerged in the water bath. You can always use something heavy like a sous vide sinker weight to ensure it doesn’t float.
- If you don’t weigh it down and it starts to float, just open the bag, remove the air and reseal it.
- The swordfish skin is tough. I usually keep it on while cooking but I don't eat it. You can remove it before cooking, but it’s easier to remove it once the fish is cooked.
- Swordfish steaks will have a red bloodline going through them. These red areas have a strong flavor but they indicate freshness. If these areas are brown instead of red, it means the swordfish is old.
Serving: 1piece | Calories: 177kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 46mg | Sodium: 1750mg | Potassium: 112mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 601IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 20mg | Iron: 1mg