Instant Pot Black Beans and Rice
Instant Pot Black Beans and Rice is an easy weeknight dinner with smoky and spicy flavor and pressure cooks on high in just 30 minutes!
Servings 6 servings
Turn the Instant Pot to the sauté setting and heat the oil.
Add the onions, green pepper and jalapeños and sauté for 2 minutes.
Add the bay leaf, salt, oregano, cumin, chili powder and tomato paste and cook for 30 seconds. (Add chicken stock if it starts to burn).
Add the smoked sausage, beans, rice and chicken stock and mix together.
Pressure cook on high for 30 minutes.
Natural release for 15 minutes, then release any remaining pressure.
Fluff and serve with fresh cilantro, limes and sliced jalapeños.
- I don’t recommend substituting other types of beans or rice in this recipe as different ingredients will require adjustments to the ratio of dry ingredients to liquid.
- I use a 6 quart Instant Pot. If you have a smaller one, be careful not to overfill your Instant Pot.
- The jalapeños add a spicy kick. If you’re not a fan of spicy, just leave out the jalapeños or replace them with more green pepper.
- Be sure to let the pressure naturally release for 15 minutes as the rice and beans will continue to cook during this time.
- While the cook time is 30 minutes on high in the Instant Pot, you’ll also need to factor in time for pressure to build and release.
- After the pressure releases, if your black beans are too firm for you, just seal the valve again and pressure cook for another 2 minutes and quick release the pressure.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 514kcal | Carbohydrates: 74g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 0.01g | Cholesterol: 27mg | Sodium: 1173mg | Potassium: 949mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 183IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 95mg | Iron: 5mg