Air Fryer Chicken Karaage
Air Fryer Chicken Karaage is a crispy Japanese fried chicken made with tender pieces of chicken thighs, an easy marinade and minimal oil!
Course Appetizer, Dinner
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 26 minutes
Marinating Time 1 hour
Total Time 1 hour 41 minutes
Servings 4 servings
- 1 pound chicken thighs boneless, skinless
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
Cut the chicken into 2" pieces.
Combine all the marinade ingredients and mix the chicken in. Let it marinate in the fridge for 30-60 minutes.
Mix the salt and cornstarch together, then coat the chicken with the cornstarch mixture.
Spray the air fryer basket lightly with oil and place the chicken in a single layer, leaving space in between each piece (you'll need to cook in 2-3 batches).
Lightly spray the chicken with oil and cook at 400F degrees for 11-13 minutes, tossing once or twice during the cooking time.
Serve hot with Kewpie mayonnaise to dip it in.
- To ensure your chicken pieces cook evenly, make sure you cut them into roughly the same size pieces (about 2 inches).
- To get the chicken browned and crispy on all sides, be sure to toss the chicken around in the air fryer basket a few times while cooking.
- You’ll also want to give the chicken pieces space, by arranging them in a single layer and not overcrowding the air fryer.
- Depending on the size of your air fryer, you’ll need to air fry the chicken in 2-3 batches.
- Make sure you use a good quality spray oil to spray the air fryer basket and the chicken pieces. I like to use this oil sprayer and fill it with my favorite oil.
- If your air fryer model requires preheating, you should preheat it before adding the first batch of chicken pieces
- When dredging the chicken pieces in cornstarch, make sure they’re well coated but shake off any excess.
- Each air fryer is a little different, so you may need to adjust the temperature and air frying time slightly.
Serving: 4ounces | Calories: 297kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 8g | Trans Fat: 0.1g | Cholesterol: 111mg | Sodium: 1084mg | Potassium: 250mg | Fiber: 0.1g | Sugar: 0.4g | Vitamin A: 88IU | Calcium: 11mg | Iron: 1mg