Sweet, sour and spicy, this Malaysian Mee Siam recipe has stir fried vermicelli noodles, shrimp, tofu and eggs, all coated in a spice paste!
Servings 4 people
- 8 ounces vermicelli noodles prepared to package instructions
- 8 ounces shrimp peeled and deveined
- 6 ounces fried tofu cut in 1" pieces
- 2 bunches green onions chopped in 2" strips
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 ½ teaspoons tamarind concentrate
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 4 ounces bean sprouts optional
- Sliced Thai chilies garnish
- Limes garnish
Place all the spice paste ingredients in a blender or food processor and pulse until a paste forms. Add water if the paste is too thick.
Heat 1 teaspoon of the coconut oil over medium-low heat in a nonstick skillet and pour in the eggs.
Cook 1-2 minutes until the egg has set. Gently flip one end over on to the other to form an omelet.
Remove from heat and set aside. Once cool, slice into strips.
Heat the remaining coconut oil in a high sided sauté pan and add the spice paste.
Cook, stirring often, until it starts to turn a very light brown.
Add the tofu and shrimp and cook until the shrimp are pink (cooked through).
Add the green onions, vermicelli, soy sauce, tamarind concentrate and bean sprouts (optional). Toss well to combine.
Cook for 1-2 minutes. Mix in the egg strips and remove from heat.
Serve with fresh limes, sambal, sliced Thai chilies, hard boiled eggs (optional), cilantro (optional).
- If the spice paste is too thick for you, just add some water.
- If you can’t find fried tofu, you can leave it out.
- Instead of shrimp, feel free to use prawns.
- You can also add chicken instead of the shrimp or in addition to it.
- Shrimp cook quickly so be careful not to over cook them or they will end up tough and chewy.
- If you can’t find doenjang or Taucheo, you can use another type of soybean paste.
- In order to fit all of the ingredients in the same pan, use a wok or a high-sided skillet.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 221kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 0.01g | Cholesterol: 96mg | Sodium: 420mg | Potassium: 307mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 448IU | Vitamin C: 55mg | Calcium: 99mg | Iron: 2mg