Sous Vide Quail
Sous Vide Quail are juicy, tender and never dried out. You only need 7 ingredients and they take just 90 minutes using the sous vide method!
Servings 3 people
Heat a sous vide water bath to 136F degrees.
Mix all ingredients together and rub all over the quail.
Place the seasoned quail in a vacuum seal bag (add in any extra seasoning that didn't stick to the quail). Seal the bag.
Place in the water bath and cook for 90 minutes.
Remove quail from the bag, reserving the bag sauce.
Heat the bag sauce in a saucepan, adding some chicken stock if needed to make a sauce. Simmer until thickened, about 2-3 minutes.
Serve the quail drizzled with the bag sauce.
**Optional - brown the quail in a hot skillet for 30-60 seconds per side. Be careful as the breast meat will dry out very quickly.
- To keep bacteria out of the sealed bag, make sure you seal the bag properly to remove the air.
- You don’t want the bag to float in the water bath. If it does float, you'll need to open it, let the excess air out and reseal it.
- To prevent floating in the first place, try using something heavy to weigh it down like a sous vide sinker weight. This will help keep the bag submerged in the water.
- Don’t throw out the bag sauce. You'll want to simmer it on the stove to create a sauce to serve over the quail.
- While the quail are fully cooked when they come out of the water bath, if you want crispy skin, you can brown them in a hot skillet.
- Be careful not to brown them for more than 30-60 seconds per side. The delicate breast meat can easily dry out on these small birds.
- For extra crispy skin, pat the quails dry before placing them in the skillet. Also, make sure the skillet is extremely hot so the quail brown quickly.
- If you have a kitchen torch, you can also use that to brown the quail instead of using a skillet.
Serving: 2quail | Calories: 453kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 44g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 7g | Monounsaturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 166mg | Sodium: 1002mg | Potassium: 524mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 570IU | Vitamin C: 15mg | Calcium: 42mg | Iron: 9mg