Jalapeno Hush Puppies Recipe
Light and fluffy on the inside, perfectly crispy on the outside, with just a touch of spice, these Jalapeno Hush Puppies are the perfect accompaniment for a true Southern meal.
Servings 6 servings
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 4 whole jalapenos minced
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 medium onion minced
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix to combine, being careful not to over mix. It's ok if it's a little lumpy.
Heat about 2-3 cups of oil to 350F in a dutch oven.
Using a medium sized cookie scoop, drop scoops of the batter in the hot oil, being careful not to overcrowd the pan.
Fry for about 2-3 minutes then flip over and fry another 2-3 minutes. They should be golden brown on all sides.
Using a slotted spoon, remove the hushpuppies from the oil and drain them on paper towels.
- Don't overcrowd the pan or the temperature of the oil may drop too much. This can cause hush puppies to become soggy.
- If making more than 2-3 batches, keep the cooked ones warm in a 200F oven.
- Add an additional jalapeno (or other pepper) for more heat.
- Add in some crumbled bacon for a meaty flavor.
Calories: 221kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 42mg | Sodium: 501mg | Potassium: 244mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 200IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 147mg | Iron: 2mg