Duck Fat Crispy Smashed Potatoes
Brushed with a generous amount of duck fat, flakes of sea salt, and a touch of garlic powder, these Crispy Smashed Potatoes are golden on the outside, and tender and creamy on the inside.
Servings 8 servings
- 32 small gold potatoes
- 2 tablespoons salt (for boiling water)
- 6 tablespoons duck fat
- 1-2 teaspoons garlic powder (depending on flavor preference)
- 1-2 teaspoon sea salt (depending on flavor preference)
Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
Boil the potatoes in salted water (2 tablespoons of salt) for 12 minutes and drain.
Place potatoes on a large baking sheet. Gently smash the potatoes with a flat surface (like the bottom of a ramekin), being careful not to break them apart.
Let them sit for about 15 minutes to ensure the moisture dries out. The drier the potatoes, the crispier they will be.
Put the (melted) duck fat in a dish. With a pastry brush, brush each smashed potato with a generous amount of duck fat and lightly sprinkle with the garlic powder and salt.
Bake the potatoes in the oven for 30-40 minutes until crisp on the outside. Make sure to use the middle or upper rack in the oven to ensure the bottoms don't burn.
- Bake on the middle rack or higher to avoid burning the bottoms of the potatoes.
- You can substitute avocado oil, peanut oil, ghee (clarified butter), grapeseed oil or canola oil for the duck fat if desired (affiliate links). Only replace it with a higher smoke point oil as you don't want it to burn. Learn more about smoke point.
- Make sure the potatoes are dry before brushing on the duck fat - the drier they are, the crispier they will be;
- You can omit the garlic powder if you prefer not to use it.
Serving: 4potatoes | Calories: 830kcal | Carbohydrates: 103g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 43g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 42mg | Sodium: 594mg | Potassium: 2936mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 45IU | Vitamin C: 54.9mg | Calcium: 64mg | Iron: 4.8mg