Instant Pot Chana Masala (Chickpea Curry)
This Instant Pot Chana Masala (also called Punjabi Chole Masala or Chickpea Curry) is a spicy, flavor packed dish of chickpeas, tomatoes and spices that takes less than 30 minutes to make in the Instant Pot!
Servings 6 servings
Toast the cumin seeds in a skillet over medium heat until they become fragrant. Remove and set aside.
Heat the ghee in the Instant Pot on the saute setting and add the onions.
Cook them for about 7 minutes, until the edges are browned. Add the garlic and ginger and cook another 1-2 minutes, until everything is lightly browned.
Add the turmeric, toasted cumin seeds, coriander, chili powder and garam masala and cook for 20 seconds.
Add the can of tomatoes, chicken broth, coconut sugar, salt and chickpeas and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.
Let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes, the use the quick release to release any remaining pressure.
Stir in the amchur powder OR lemon juice. Add additional salt to taste if desired.
Garnish with cilantro and serve with basmati rice and/or naan bread.
- If using dried chickpeas, soak 1 cup overnight. Increase the chicken broth to 2 cups and the cook time to 40 minutes.
- To give it a slighter thicker consistency, use a potato mashed to slightly mash some of the beans.
- Add additional cayenne pepper for more spice.
- Substitute 1 tablespoon of lemon juice for the amchur powder if desired.
- Substitute any chili powder or Paprika for the Kashmiri red chili powder.
- Increase the amount of chili powder for a spicier curry.
Calories: 78kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 6mg | Sodium: 651mg | Potassium: 283mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 495IU | Vitamin C: 15mg | Calcium: 58mg | Iron: 2.3mg