Millionaire Bars (Homemade Twix Bars)
Rich, buttery shortbread, smooth creamy chocolate, gooey caramel and salty pretzels make these Millionaire Bars decadently delicious and highly addictive.
Servings 16 bars
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Combine the butter and sugar in a bowl and beat until fluffy, about 1-2 minutes.
Add the egg and vanilla and beat another 1-2 minutes.
Add the flour and salt and mix to combine. Do not overmix.
Take the dough and spread it over a parchment paper lined 8 x 8" pan.
Press each pretzel lightly into the dough leaving only a small amount of space between each.
Bake the dough for 20-25 minutes, until the edges just start to brown.
Let cool completely in fridge before adding the caramel (about 30 minutes).
Unwrap all your caramels and place in a microwave safe bowl with the cream.
Microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between each, until caramel is full melted.
Pour on top of the shortbread.
Cool completely in the fridge before adding the chocolate ganache (about 15-30 minutes).
Combine the chocolate chips and cream in a microwave safe bowl and heat for 30 second intervals, stirring in between.
Once fully melted, pour on top of the caramel mixture.
Sprinkle lightly with coarse sea salt.
Let the bars set in the fridge for about 15-30 minutes.
Lift the parchment paper out of the pan and slice the bars with a warmed knife (warm makes it easier to slice).
- Be careful not to overmix the shortbread as it can cause it to become too crumbly and fall apart after baking;
- The caramel and chocolate should be microwaved in 30 second intervals, stirring in between until the mixtures are fully melted. Be careful not to overheat or they may burn;
- If the chocolate ganache is too thick, add additional cream and mix until it is pourable. Be careful not to thin it too much - the mixture should be thick but pourable (I don't usually need to add extra);
- If the caramel is too thick, add additional cream and mix until it is pourable. Be careful not to thin it too much - the mixture should be thick but pourable (I never need to add extra);
- Either pretzel sticks or regular pretzels can be used;
- The sprinkle of sea salt on top is optional, however I highly recommend it for the best flavor;
- Warm your knife before attempting to cut the bars. A warmed knife will slice through the chocolate and caramel easier.
Serving: 1bar | Calories: 296kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 36mg | Sodium: 209mg | Potassium: 157mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 25g | Vitamin A: 295IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 84mg | Iron: 1mg