Crispy Southwest Egg Roll Recipe
These Southwest Egg Rolls are stuffed with chicken, rice, black beans, tomatoes, chilies cheese and corn and either baked or fried until crispy on the outside and warm and gooey on the inside.
Servings 15 Egg Rolls
- 15 Egg roll wrappers
- 1 (boneless, skinless) chicken breast diced (about 1.5 cups)
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil (only if baking)
- 2 cups peanut oil (only if deep frying)
- ½ cup black beans
- ½ (15 ounce can) diced tomatoes
- 4 ounces diced green chilies
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ (medium) onion diced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 jalapeño diced
- ½ cup corn
- ½ cup brown rice (cooked)
- ½ cup queso fresco
- 1 tablespoon bacon fat (substitute butter or lard)
Heat the bacon fat in a skillet over medium-high heat and add the diced chicken, browning it on all sides.
Add the onion, garlic and jalapeno and cook until soft, about 2-3 minutes.
Add the remaining ingredients, except the brown rice and queso fresco, and cook until moisture has evaporated.
Remove from heat and stir in the brown rice and queso fresco.
Place 2 tablespoon mixture on an egg roll wrapper and wrap (see pictures above in the post).
Dampen the top corner with water and finish wrapping. The water will help the wrapper stick together so it won't come unrolled. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Bake Egg Rolls:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and brush with avocado oil.
Bake for 10-15 minutes, flipping halfway through, until golden brown.
Fry Egg Rolls:
Heat the peanut oil in a dutch oven or other heavy bottomed pot to 350 degrees.
Add 5 egg rolls to the pot and fry, turning occasionally, until all sides are golden brown (about 3-5 minutes).
Drain on a wire rack over a baking sheet lined with paper towels (helps keep the mess to a minimum). Keep them warm in a 200 degree oven while cooking the remaining egg rolls.
- Add and additional jalapeno or a diced habanero if you want to add more heat to these egg rolls;
- Substitute white rice for brown rice if desired;
- Substitute pinto beans for the black beans if desired;
- Substitute feta cheese for the Cotija cheese if you can't find it;
- Use a thermometer like this Thermapen to make sure the oil stays at 350F degrees (affiliate link).
Serving: 1egg roll | Calories: 130kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 5mg | Sodium: 263mg | Potassium: 79mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 65IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 35mg | Iron: 1mg