Croque Madame Recipe
This Croque Madame recipe is a wonderfully rich and decadent breakfast sandwich made with bacon and cheese on toasted bread, smothered in a homemade bechamel sauce and toasted until warm and gooey.
Servings 2 servings
- 5 slices cooked bacon
- 4 ounces Gruyere grated or sliced
- 2 eggs
- 4 pieces bread sliced 1/2 to 1" thick
- 1 cup Béchamel sauce (see below)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1-2 teaspoons salt (adjust to taste preference)
Butter each side of the bread generously and toast until crisp and buttery on the outside, but soft on the inside.
Break the bacon slices in half and layer half of it on one toasted piece of bread.
Layer the sliced or grated gruyere on top of the bacon. Top the cheese with a layer of bechamel sauce.
Smear another layer of bechamel over the top of the bread and place in the oven (350 degrees) for about 10 minutes, or until everything gets nice and gooey.
Top with a fried egg.
Melt the butter and add the flour, stirring constantly for about 2 minutes.
Add the milk while constantly whisking. Simmer on medium heat for about 10 minutes, until slightly thickened. **The sauce should coat a spoon, but still be pourable.
For a thinner sauce, add additional milk until desired consistency is reached.
Stir in the salt and pepper. Add additional salt to taste.
- If the bechamel sauce is too thick, thin it with a little milk until you reach the desired consistency. It should coat the spoon, but still be pourable.
- Add extra salt to the bechamel to taste. I've included the minimum amount of salt as everyone has different preferences.
- Add additional cheese to the top before broiling if you want an extra cheesy sandwich;
- I highly recommend cooking the eggs sunny side up or poaching them. Learn how to poach an egg perfectly.
Serving: 1sandwich | Calories: 1185kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 41g | Fat: 104g | Saturated Fat: 61g | Cholesterol: 493mg | Sodium: 2120mg | Potassium: 619mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 3619IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 958mg | Iron: 1mg