Spiced Apple Chutney Recipe
Made with bacon, apples, vinegar, and sweet caramelized brown sugar, this chutney only takes 20 minutes to make!
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
Servings 10 servings
- 2 cups chopped apples
- 1 onion, sliced thinly
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 Thai chili, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tsp. ginger paste
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
For the apples, chop them in 1/4 to 1/2" pieces, depending on how chunky you'd like the chutney to be.
Combine all the ingredients in a 2-3 quart saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Simmer, uncovered, for about 20-30 minutes, until chutney is caramelized and thickened.
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks or the freezer for up to 12 months.
- Dice the ingredients in small pieces for a more uniform chutney;
- Jalapenos or serrano peppers can be used as a substitute for the Thai chilies
- If the chutney starts to stick to the pan, add additional liquid;
- If your chutney is too thin after 20-30 minutes, continue cooking until a thick consistency is reached.
Serving: 2g | Calories: 100kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 6mg | Sodium: 110mg | Potassium: 83mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 14IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 14mg | Iron: 1mg