Beef Empanada Recipe
These Beef Empanadas are filled with ground beef, vegetables and spices, wrapped up in pie crust and baked until crispy. Served with a homemade chimichurri sauce, these empanadas are easy to make in under an hour.
Servings 5 servings
- 2 pre-made pie crusts
- 1 egg beaten and mixed with 1 tbsp. water for egg wash
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Using a large biscuit cutter or something round, cut 3-4" circles in the pie crust. Cut them as close as possible to maximize the crust. Leftover crust can be combined and rolled into more dough circles.
One by one, brush the edge of the dough circle with water, add 1 tbsp. of the beef filling (below) and 2-3 sliced olives, and seal the edges with a fork (see photos).
Place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Continue, until all dough circles have been used.
Brush each empanada with the egg wash and bake for 20-25 minutes, until the crust is golden brown. Remove and let rest for 10 minutes. Serve with Homemade Chimichurri.
Brown the beef over medium heat, mixing well to break up any large pieces. Add the sausage and continue browning for 2-3 minutes.
Add the potato, onion, garlic and red pepper. Stir and cook for 5 minutes.
Add the tomato paste, beef broth, cinnamon, cumin and salt. Stir to incorporate the tomato paste and cook 2-3 minutes.
Add the water, bring to a slight simmer, cover and cook on medium low for 10 minutes. Check periodically to ensure the beef doesn't burn.
- Make the filling ahead of time to save some time;
- The empanadas can be assembled in advance and refrigerated (covered) overnight for quick preparation when ready;
- Cut the potatoes in very small pieces to ensure they cook through and they are easily able to stuff into the empanada dough;
- While the beef is browning, use a spoon or fork to break it up into small pieces so it is easier to stuff the empanadas;
- Be sure to wet the edges of the pie crust circles with water so the edges stick together;
- If edges are not sticking well, use a dab of the beaten egg to help them stick.
Serving: 4g | Calories: 580kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 36g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 81mg | Sodium: 2028mg | Potassium: 597mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 1974IU | Vitamin C: 21mg | Calcium: 65mg | Iron: 6mg