Creamed Pearl Onions
A classic dish, these Creamed Pearl Onions are caramelized then simmered in a cream sauce until sweet and tender. It's the perfect easy side dish for any meal, taking under 20 minutes to make!
Servings 4 servings
- 10 ounces pearl onions fresh or frozen
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons chopped parsley
- ¼ cup dry sherry
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
If using fresh pearl onions: To peel them, first drop them in boiling water for about 30 seconds then transfer them to a bowl of ice water. The peels should just slip right off.
Heat the butter in a skillet on medium heat. Add the garlic and saute until soft, about 2-3 minutes.
Add the pearl onions and saute for about 5 minutes, until they start to brown on the outsides.
Add the sherry, parsley, and nutmeg. Simmer for about 2-3 minutes.
Add the cream and cook for 5-10 minutes OR until thickened and creamy.
Season with the salt and pepper. Serve warm.
- If using frozen pearl onions, do not thaw them before adding them to the pan.
- If using fresh pearl onions, peel them first. Drop them in boiling water for about 30 seconds then transfer them to a bowl of ice water. The peels should just slip right off.
- Substitute beef broth or white wine for the sherry.
Serving: 0.5cup | Calories: 173kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 48mg | Sodium: 622mg | Potassium: 136mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 525IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 38mg | Iron: 1mg