Duck Bites with Honey Orange Glaze
Tender and juicy, Duck Bites with Honey Orange Glaze are bite sized pieces of duck, coated in flour and seasonings, and fried until crispy!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 4 people
- 1-2 pounds duck legs cut in 1 ½" pieces
- 1 cup flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons allspice fresh ground for best flavor
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Oil for frying peanut, canola, vegetable
Heat about 2 inches of oil to 350F degrees in a high sided cast iron skillet or Dutch oven.
Mix the flour, allspice, salt and pepper in a bowl.
Dip the duck pieces in the flour mixture and fry in the oil for 3-5 minutes, until browned and crispy.
Remove the duck and drain on a paper towel lined plate.
Place the fried duck pieces in a bowl and pour the glaze on top. Toss to fully coat the duck bites.
Honey Orange Glaze:
Heat the ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring regularly to prevent burning.
Cook for 3-5 minutes, until slightly thickened (should start to stick to the back of a spoon). Add additional orange juice or brandy if too thick.
- Use a pot or high-sided skillet when frying the duck bites. You want something high enough to fit the oil and duck bites.
- You’ll want just about 2-inches of oil in the bottom of your pan or pot for frying the duck bites. There's no need to fill the pan or pot with oil.
- The oil should be at a medium heat of about 350F degrees. I recommend using a candy or deep frying thermometer to check the temperature.
- When using oil on the stovetop to fry food, don’t leave the hot pot of oil unattended.
- For even cooking, make sure the duck breast is cut into even pieces - about 1 ½ inches. Larger pieces will take longer to cook.
- Depending on the size of your pot or pan you may need to fry the duck bites in batches so they brown evenly.
- Be careful not to overcook the duck bites as they’ll turn out tough, dry and chewy.
- If you’d like to forgo the orange glaze, you can enjoy these duck bites on their own or serve them with remoulade sauce for dipping.
Serving: 3ounces | Calories: 314kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 87mg | Sodium: 1811mg | Potassium: 387mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 101IU | Vitamin C: 16mg | Calcium: 20mg | Iron: 7mg