Sous Vide Flan
This sous vide flan has the smoothest, creamiest custard ever served over a quick, homemade "burnt" caramel.
Prep Time 15 minutes minutes
Cook Time 1 hour hour
Chill 8 hours hours
Total Time 9 hours hours 15 minutes minutes
Servings 12 servings
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
Heat a sous vide water bath to 179F degrees.
Combine all the ingredients for the flan in a bowl and mix with a handheld or countertop mixer for 3-5 minutes, until smooth and creamy.
Place the sugar and water in a saucepan and mix to combine.
Heat over low heat until sugar starts to melt. Swirl the pan every couple minutes (DO NOT MIX).
Once sugar is an amber color, remove from heat and spoon into 12-4 ounce canning jars (warmed) evenly. Let sit for 2-3 minutes to cool and harden.
Pour the flan mixture over top of the caramel evenly across the jars.
Screw the lids on so they are just "finger tight." Do not over tighten or the jars may crack. Stop tightening as soon as you feel the lid grab.
Cook in the water bath for 1 hour. Remove and let cool at room temperature for 10-15 minutes.
Tighten lids and place in the fridge for 8 hours or overnight.
Serve in jars.
- Start with the ingredients at room temperature for the best results.
- Whatever you do, do not mix the caramel while it's cooking. It may seem counterintuitive, but just leave it to slowly melt and brown, occasionally swirling it.
- Mix in any additional flavors (see below for options) you want before pouring the custard in the jars.
- Tighten the jars "finger tight." This means you tighten the lids until you barely feel it grab the jar. It should be easy to twist the lid back off with your fingertips.
- Let the jars sit for at least 8 hours to give the caramel time to soften. The flan can be eaten before, but the caramel may still be hard.
Serving: 1jar | Calories: 117kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 0.003g | Cholesterol: 95mg | Sodium: 73mg | Potassium: 58mg | Sugar: 19g | Vitamin A: 165IU | Vitamin C: 0.1mg | Calcium: 44mg | Iron: 0.3mg