Pastelitos De Guayaba (Cuban Guava Pastry)
These Pastelitos De Guayaba (Cuban Guava Pastry) are filled with sweet, gooey guava paste and sweetened cream cheese and baked until golden brown, resulting in a creamy, gooey, flaky, deliciously sweet pastry.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 9 servings
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- 12 tablespoons guava paste
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon coarse sugar crystals (for sprinkling)
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Combine the cream cheese (softened to room temperature) and sugar and whip until combined.
Place one layer of puff pastry on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. We're going to split the puff pastry into 9 squares. Just mark them without cutting.
Divide the guava paste in 12 equal portions.
Place 1 portion of guava paste on each pastry square. Add 1 tablespoon of the cream cheese mixture on top of the guava paste.
Place the second layer of puff pastry over the top and press down to seal the edges around the filling.
Using a pizza cutter or sharp knife, cut the pastry into 9 equal squares and seal the edges with a fork.
To make the egg wash, beat an egg in a small bowl mixed with 1 teaspoon of water. Brush the individual pastries with the egg wash and Sprinkle with coarse sugar crystals.
Bake in the oven (on a lower rack) for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Remove and let cool for 5 minutes.
- These pastries can also be made in advance (not baked) and frozen. After filling and sealing, place on a baking sheet in the freezer for 3 hours, until frozen. Store them in a freezer safe bag or container. To bake from frozen, increase the cook time 3-5 minutes.
- If the edges of the pastries won't seal well, dab them with a bit of water to help them stick - it's ok if the edges aren't completely sealed;
- Increase the amount of coarse sugar on the outside if you prefer a more sugary coating;
- Bake on the lower rack of the oven for the best results. This enables the bottom to cook more, preventing any sogginess.
Serving: 1pastry | Calories: 386kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 35mg | Sodium: 193mg | Potassium: 140mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 355IU | Vitamin C: 43.1mg | Calcium: 27mg | Iron: 1.6mg