Creamy Beef Stroganoff Recipe
Made with tender chunks of beef, sauteed mushrooms, & sour cream, this Creamy Beef Stroganoff is that ultimate comfort food that you NEED in your life!
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
Servings 6 servings
- 1 lbs tenderloin (cut in 1" pieces)
- Small yellow onion chopped
- 1-2 tsp. bacon grease butter can be substituted
- 1 can of cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1-2 tbs. dry sherry
- 1 garlic glove finely chopped
- 2 tbs. heavy whipping cream
- 5 oz. sour cream
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Package of wide egg noodles cooked according to directions
Heat bacon grease in a skillet on medium high heat.
Pat cubed beef dry with paper towels, season with salt and pepper and dust lightly with flour. Arrange the beef around the pan and lightly brown on all sides. Remove and set aside.
Reduce heat to medium and add the mushrooms, onions and garlic to the pan; sauté until soft. Add the sherry to de-glaze the pan and cook for about 1 minute, then add the beef broth, cream of mushroom soup and the browned beef cubes.
Simmer for about 20 minutes, add the heavy whipping cream, and simmer another 10 minutes. Add the sour cream and stir until heated throughout.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve over egg noodles.
- You really want a tender cut of beef for this recipe. I typically use tri-tip, but tenderloin or ribeye would work great as well.
- You can substitute any animal fat for bacon grease (butter, duck fat, goose fat, etc.).
- If you don't have sherry, you can leave it out. However, I find it adds a great flavor to the stroganoff and recommend using it if you can.
- To make ahead: Follow recipe instructions up to the point where sour cream is added. Store stroganoff sauce in a container in the fridge overnight or up to 3 days. to reheat, place sauce in a skillet and heat over medium heat until it starts to simmer. Add additional broth to thin the sauce if necessary. Once sauce is bubbling and has reached desired consistency, add the sour cream. Stir until heated through then remove from heat and serve with egg noodles.
- To freeze: Let the stroganoff cool then place in an airtight container. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight then heat on the stove top or in the microwave. Add additional beef broth if the sauce is too thick, until desired consistency is reached.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 187kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 68mg | Sodium: 213mg | Potassium: 322mg | Vitamin A: 220IU | Vitamin C: 0.3mg | Calcium: 48mg | Iron: 1.3mg