New Orleans Style Red Gravy (Creole Sauce)
New Orleans Red Gravy , or Creole Sauce as it is also known, is not your typical "gravy." Made with tomatoes, onions, green peppers and Creole spices, and my own little secret touch, this stuff will have your mouth watering.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Servings 8 servings
Heat butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the green pepper and onion and cook until soft.
Add the tomatoes and cook for one minute. Add all remaining ingredients except the cream. Bring to a simmer, cover and let cook for 20 minutes.
Add the cream and bring back to a simmer. Simmer for 3-5 minutes, until thickened. Remove from heat and serve .
- Any type of Louisiana hot sauce can be used. I use Red Rooster brand, but anything will work.
- If the gravy is too thick, add some additional chicken stock until it reaches the desired consistency.
- Add additional salt to taste if necessary.
- For a spicier gravy, add additional cayenne pepper to taste. Only add 1/4 tsp. at a time as it can be quite hot.
- For a richer flavor, use bone broth in place of the chicken stock.