Classic Cajun Style Dirty Rice Recipe
Dirty Rice is a Cajun style rice made with white rice, ground liver and pork, spices and seasoning. Chicken livers offer the perfect deep flavor to the rice.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 8 servings
- 1/2 cup ground pork
- 1/2 cup chicken livers
- 1 tablespoon bacon fat
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 green pepper diced
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Heat a skillet over medium heat and add the bacon grease and ground pork. Cook until there is a little pink left (use a spoon to break it up in small pieces).
Add the onion and green pepper and continue to cook until they start to soften, about 5-10 minutes.
Add the chopped livers and cook for 5 minutes, or until livers are cooked and combined into the mixture.
Then add the rice, water, beef broth, red pepper flakes, and Cajun seasoning and stir.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook for 20-25 minutes, until rice is fully cooked. Remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve.
- Freezing the chicken livers before chopping them will makes them easier to chop;
- Use a wooden spoon to break up the ground pork into small pieces while it's cooking - otherwise you end up with large chunks of ground pork in the rice;
- Substitute duck fat, goose fat, pork fat or vegetable oil for the bacon grease if you don't have any.
Serving: 0.5cup | Calories: 136kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 16mg | Sodium: 129mg | Potassium: 140mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 865IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 15mg | Iron: 1mg