Classic Cajun Style Dirty Rice Recipe
Dirty Rice is a Cajun style rice made with white rice, ground liver and pork, spices and seasoning. Chicken livers offer the perfect deep flavor to the rice.
Servings 8 servings
- 1/2 cup ground pork
- 1/2 cup chicken livers
- 1 tablespoon bacon fat
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 green pepper diced
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Heat a skillet over medium heat and add the bacon grease and ground pork. Cook until there is a little pink left (use a spoon to break it up in small pieces).
Add the onion and green pepper and continue to cook until they start to soften, about 5-10 minutes.
Add the chopped livers and cook for 5 minutes, or until livers are cooked and combined into the mixture.
Then add the rice, water, beef broth, red pepper flakes, and Cajun seasoning and stir.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook for 20-25 minutes, until rice is fully cooked. Remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve.
- Freezing the chicken livers before chopping them will makes them easier to chop;
- Use a wooden spoon to break up the ground pork into small pieces while it's cooking - otherwise you end up with large chunks of ground pork in the rice;
- Substitute duck fat, goose fat, pork fat or vegetable oil for the bacon grease if you don't have any.
Serving: 0.5cup | Calories: 136kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 16mg | Sodium: 129mg | Potassium: 140mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 865IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 15mg | Iron: 1mg