Instant Pot Coq Au Vin
This Instant Pot Coq Au Vin is a classic French stew made with chicken thighs, red wine, mushrooms and bacon.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 35 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
Servings 4 servings
- 4 chicken thighs (bone-in skin on)
- 4 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 package sliced mushrooms, rinsed
- 2 tsp. tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup cream
- Salt, to taste
Heat a cast iron skillet over medium high heat and add the chicken thighs. Brown on both sides, about 3 minutes per side, until skin is crisp and browned.
OPTION: Brown the chicken right in the Instant Pot.
Place the chicken in the Instant Pot (or keep it there depending on how you browned it) on the saute setting. Add the onions and garlic.
Let it cook for 2-3 minutes. Then add the brandy.
Cook 1-2 minutes, until liquid has cooked down.
Add all remaining ingredients (except cream) and set to cook on high pressure for 15 minutes.
Once done cooking, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes. Then use the quick release to release the remaining pressure..
Turn the Instant Pot back to the saute setting (normal) and bring to a simmer.
Add the cream and simmer for 5-10 minutes, until sauce is reduced to desired level. Sauce can be thickened with a cornstarch slurry if desired - see expert tips.
Season with salt to taste (optional) and serve over egg noodles (can also be served over mashed potatoes, polenta, spaghetti, etc.).
- Brown the chicken thighs in a cast iron skillet or nonstick pan before them in the Instant Pot for the best results.
- After it's done pressure cooking, simmer the chicken with the cream until it's been reduced to a creamy sauce.
- If your sauce is too thin, you can thicken it with a cornstarch slurry. Add 2 teaspoons of cornstarch with 1 tablespoon of water and stir to combine. Slowly add the slurry to the instant pot, stirring until the desired thickness is reached.
- Season with additional salt and pepper to taste if necessary.
Serving: 1thigh | Calories: 747kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 41g | Fat: 52g | Saturated Fat: 17g | Cholesterol: 258mg | Sodium: 392mg | Potassium: 688mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 435IU | Vitamin C: 2.1mg | Calcium: 38mg | Iron: 2mg