Easy Shrimp Tacos with Asian Salsa
These easy Shrimp Tacos are marinaded in a mixture of lime, fish sauce, ginger and soy sauce, stir fried, then served on warm tortillas with the most incredible Asian salsa, pickled vegetables and fresh herbs.
Servings 4 servings
- 1 pound shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil (coconut, canola, avocado, etc.)
- 1 cup grated cabbage
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro (for garnish)
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves (for garnish)
- 1 lime cut in wedges for serving
- Asian salsa (see instructions below)
- pickled vegetables (see instructions below)
- 1 tomatillo
- 1 roma tomato
- 2 basil leaves
- 1 jalapeno
- 4 mint leaves
- 1 teaspoon cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup thinly sliced radish
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/8 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Thai chili (bird's eye chili)
Combine all marinade ingredients in a bowl and add shrimp - mix to coat the shrimp thoroughly. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
Drain from marinade and pat dry.
Heat oil in a wok or cast iron skillet over high heat. Add the shrimp and stir fry until pink (2-3 minutes).
Serve on tortillas with cabbage, pickled vegetables, fresh herbs and Vietnamese salsa.
Heat 1 tsp. cooking oil or nonstick cooking spay in a nonstick skillet.
Add tortillas and cook for 30 seconds to 1 minutes per side. Place on a plate covered with a warm damp towel to prevent them from drying out while cooking the remaining tortillas.
Combine the vinegar, sugar, salt and chilies in a bowl and mix until the sugar is dissolved.
Pour over the vegetables and let sit for at least an hour. For even better results, you can make these a day in advance and let them sit overnight.
- Don't let the shrimp marinade for more than 2 hours as the acidity in the lime juice will cook the shrimp too much.
- Drain the shrimp well and make sure the pan is hot before adding them. We want them to sear on the outside.
- The shrimp are done when they are pink and no longer translucent.
- Add a Thai chili to the salsa if you'd like some extra heat.
- The pickled vegetables will taste the best of you marinade them for at least 4 hours. They will still work at one hour, but if you have time, marinade them longer.
Serving: 2tacos | Calories: 331kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 286mg | Sodium: 1925mg | Potassium: 519mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 5946IU | Vitamin C: 37mg | Calcium: 253mg | Iron: 4mg