If you love tacos (really, who doesn’t?) then you have got to try these Vietnamese shrimp street tacos. The shrimp are marinated in a mixture of fish sauce, garlic, sugar and lime juice, quickly stir fried, and served with the most AMAZING Vietnamese salsa!
You guys are going to love me for this.
Vietnamese shrimp street tacos.
You thought you liked Mexican tacos? Well, you’ve never tried Vietnamese tacos (ok maybe you have but saying that has less effect…)
The best part of these tacos is the salsa. Seriously.
I’d love to tell you I spent hours refining the recipe and testing and tasting, but no.
This was a one shot deal. Perfection the first time.
And of course, it’s such a super simple easy recipe. It doesn’t get a whole lot easier than this.
However, the shrimp do need to be marinated for about 2 hours. We don’t want to leave them much longer than that because the lime juice will start to cook them.
Then when we stir fry, they just get kind weird.
So first off, get all your marinade ingredients in a bowl and add your shrimp. Throw that in the fridge and gather your salsa ingredients.
The salsa is so easy. Place ingredients in a food process, process and done.
Seriously, that’s it. Now try not to eat it all before your shrimp is done!
And now, bring on the Netflix! I don’t know about you guys, but how did we ever live without Netflix? I don’t even know what real TV is like anymore.
Once your two hours is up, drain your shrimp and pat them dry.
Heat 1 tbsp. of cooking oil over medium high in a wok (you can use a skillet too) and add your shrimp. Stir fry just until pink and remove.
Somewhere in between all the mess above, you’ll want to get your tortillas prepared. I use store bought, because, well, it’s easy.
Heat 1-2 tsp. oil in a nonstick skillet and fry the tortillas, about 1-2 minutes per side. This gets them nice and pliable.
And delicious for your tacos.
Once everything is ready, serve your tacos with some shredded cabbage, pickled vegetables (optional) and fresh herbs.
Oh, and if you haven’t eaten all the salsa already, use that too.
Now before you go anywhere, we’ve been making Vietnamese food all month. Check out some of these other super awesome flavorful recipes:
Did you make these Vietnamese shrimp street tacos? Drop a comment below and let me know what you think. Don’t forget to rate the recipe!
- 1 lbs. fresh shrimp peeled and deveined
- Grated cabbage
- Corn tortillas (mini for street tacos)
- Vietnamese Salsa
- Mint leaves
- Vietnamese pickled vegetables (optional)
- 1 tbsp. lime juice
- 1 tsp. grated ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. coconut sugar
- 2 tsp. fish sauce
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. soy sauce
- 1 tomatillo
- 1 roma tomato
- 2 basil leaves
- 4 slices jalapeno
- 4 mint leaves
- 1 tsp. cilantro
- 1 tbsp. fish sauce
- 1 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp. coconut sugar
- Combine all marinade ingredients. Add shrimp and stir until well coated with marinade.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Drain from marinade and pat dry.
- Heat oil in a wok or cast iron skillet over high heat. Add shrimp and stir fry until pink (2-3 minutes).
- Serve on tortillas with cabbage, pickled vegetables, fresh herbs and Vietnamese salsa.
- Heat 1 tsp. cooking oil or nonstick cooking spay in a nonstick skillet.
- Add tortillas and cook for 1-2 minutes per side. Place on a plate covered with a warm damp towel to prevent them from drying out.
- Combine all ingredients in food processor. Process.