Sweet Potato Hash Recipe
This Sweet Potato Hash Recipe is the ultimate breakfast comfort food with smoky salty ham, spicy jalapeno, caramelized sweet potatoes, onions and sweet red peppers...all topped with beautiful yolky, baked eggs.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 4 servings
- 2 cups diced sweet potatoes
- 2 cups Clifty Farm Country Ham Seasoning Pieces diced and cooked
- 1/2 red pepper diced
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 jalapeno diced
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 eggs
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Heat a large oven proof skillet over medium heat and add the olive oil. Add the sweet potatoes and cover. Cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring periodically to prevent burning.
Add the ham, onion, red pepper, jalapeno and spices. Mix to combine and cook for 5-7 minutes, until the vegetables have softened. Add salt to taste at this point. I don't typically need to add salt as the ham is salty, but adjust it to your own preference.
Remove from heat. Break 4 eggs over the top of the hash and place in the oven.
Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the egg whites are set.
Garnish with cilantro and serve.
- If you don't have an ovenproof skillet, you can cook in a regular skillet, then transfer to any oven safe dish. You can also fry the eggs separately and top with the fried eggs.
- You can leave the peel on or peel the sweet potatoes, depending on your preference.
- Be sure to stir the sweet potatoes every couple minutes while cooking them to prevent burning. I also recommend using a non-stick pan.
- Add an additional jalapeno for extra spice. You can also omit the jalapeno is you prefer no spice.
- Make ahead: This is an awesome make-ahead dish. Just make the hash (without the eggs) and store in a covered container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Place in an ovenproof dish, break the eggs on top and cook according to the recipe instructions when ready.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 227kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 194mg | Sodium: 845mg | Potassium: 357mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 10422IU | Vitamin C: 26mg | Calcium: 52mg | Iron: 2mg