Chicken congee is basically tasty spoonfuls of rapid boiled rice flavored with chicken stock, seasonings and a variety of condiments.
Course Breakfast, Main Course
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
Servings 6 servings
- 1 cup long grain white rice rinsed well until water runs clear
- 12 ounces chicken thighs sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 green onions cut in 1" pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt use additional salt is using unsalted broth - taste first
- ½ teaspoon MSG
- Chopped green onions for serving
- fried garlic for serving
- Fresh cilantro for serving
- Chili crisp for serving
- 8 cups chicken stock
Combine the chicken marinade ingredients in a bowl, add the sliced chicken, then mix to fully coat. Set aside while preparing the remaining ingredients.
Bring the chicken stock to a boil and add the rice.
Boil for 25 minutes, partially covered.
After 25 minutes, use a whisk to to whisk the rice and break it up into a porridge-like substance.
Add the chicken slowly and bring back to a boil.
Add the remaining seasonings, adjust salt to taste and serve garnished with fried garlic, green onions, cilantro and chili crisp (optional)
- Whisk the rice briskly as this is what will help it break apart and become a congee.
- If you use unsalted broth, you may need to add additional salt to taste.
- The MSG can be omitted, but you may need to add extra salt to taste if you omit it.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 315kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 0.1g | Cholesterol: 56mg | Sodium: 586mg | Potassium: 444mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 84IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 32mg | Iron: 1mg